Artist Interview: Ana Polanšćak of Gardens of Hecate

http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.com/
Welcome to the first issue of what I hope to be a semi-regular feature on this blog, where I interview different miniature artists and try and get a sense of their processes and inspirations in hope that it might inspire the reader too. I hope to shine a light on lesser-known artists, as well as deconstruct the processes behind the work of some of the more well-known members of the community, such as this article's interview with Ana Polanšćak of the blog, Gardens of Hecate.

How did you get into miniature painting & what was the first miniature you painted?
I was 11 years old. Saw Chaos Knights in LGS's flyer promoting Warhammer (it was during 6th edition WHFB), and was very much intrigued by tabletop miniature games. Asked my parents to get me the Knights. They got me Chaos Marauders instead. Painted my first Marauders with my dad's enamel paints (he was into model airplanes).

How did you get into painting miniatures in your distinct dark, yet realistic style?
It evolved over time. Always liked it, just needed to learn how to do it well. By that I mean so the model doesn't look like a blurry blob of brown/grey, but an actually readable miniature. I've experimented with a bunch of different styles and techniques to find what works for me. And I still do.

http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.com/


What sources of media do you draw inspiration from? For example, specific games, books, films, art? And what (design) philosophies do you like to incorporate through these?
I draw inspiration from a myriad of sources: books, film & television, games, history, folklore,  music, visual arts, other people's creative work on miniatures... Literally everything can be useful: some things very directly, others in a totally subtle way.
Visual arts are probably the biggest source. I'll give some of the artists I often revisit: Zdzislaw Beksinski, Hieronymus Bosch, Pieter Bruegel, Albrecht Durer, Ian Miller, John Blanche, Andrey Dugin & Olga Dugina, Ernst Fuchs, Viktor Safonkin, Santiago Caruso, Francisco Goya.
I have huge reference/inspiration folders on my computer, full of paintings, drawings, photographs, sculptures...  When I browse the internet I run into something interesting - I stash it there for later use. I also like art books. And when I visit a museum or a gallery I often buy the catalogue (if I can afford it).     
Games are a big one, too. For instance, my Sunhold project is heavily influenced by video games like Diablo II, Dark Souls series, Darkest Dungeon, the Witcher, Blasphemous...

Could you talk me briefly through your process of making and painting a miniature from start to finish? Any tips or tricks you use to make the process smoother? Do you paint them separately from the base, varnish them etc? How long do you take?
It varies from project to project, but in most cases the process is this: I get an idea for a model, I make sketches and find the appropriate parts. I put them together, do the cutting, grinding, sculpting and pasting. Most of the time I glue the entire model before painting, but occasionally I have to paint it in parts. I make the base (air drying clay, miniature rubble). The base is painted along with the mini. I prime the model black/white zenithal. I take out my paints and get to work. I don't generally varnish my plastic models, only those that need that extra protection. As for how long it takes, it heavily depends on what I'm painting and whether I already have the recipe or I'm trying something new... I often get that question and can never give a straightforward answer because there isn't one.


What are your top 3 products and or techniques for creating and or painting miniatures in a grimdark fashion? And what is one technique you’d advise against?
Paints with a highly matte finish. Scale 75 paints have already replaced most Citadel paints in my arsenal, and Secret Weapon weathering acrylics range is also something I use a lot. Not to say Citadel doesn't have good stuff: I'm a fan of their washes and their Technical range, especially Typhus Corrosion, Agrellan Earth and Nihilakh Oxyde. As for techniques, I have two things to say: do black-lining and don't forget highlights. This should help with the common „blurry blob of brown/grey“ problem I mentioned earlier.
What I tend to avoid is smoothly blended transitions and airbrushing. I'm going for a painterly look, and these are not too compatible with that goal.

from Ana's rust tutorial - http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.com/2017/12/cxlviii-tutorial-corroded-plate.html

What is your favourite GW model and what types of miniatures would you like to see them produce in the future?
GW has a lot of good models, both old and new. Since I've moved on to differently scaled historical minis as a base for my humans, I'm mostly interested in what GW does in monsters and plastic scenery departments. So, I would like to see more good plastic scenery kits and fantasy monsters.

What hobbies do you have outside of painting miniatures? 
None, besides a bit of casual pen&paper RPG with my brother and his group. I engage with the miniatures hobby in such an all-encompassing way that I don't really need, or have the energy for, other hobbies.

How large of a part does gaming play in the way you create miniatures? Do you game often?
Vast majority of my miniatures are made as gaming pieces. I don't game very often, but when I do - I make it count.

http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.com/

Who are some of your biggest inspirations in the community, and what aspects of their styles would you be interested in adopting/ trying out? 
There are many hobbyists I admire in the community. Some for technical skills, some for their style, some for their attitude. One of the greatest inspirations when conversions are concerned is Isaac Tobin (@weirdingsway). His conversions have a strongly recognisable signature, and this is mainly because of his specific approach to converting. I should try his method at least once, I think it would be enlightening.

What is your favourite miniature or set of miniatures you’ve made, and what would you like to improve upon going forward?
It’s hard to pick a single favourite. I’m very fond of the Countess and her spirits. They have been with me since I started Gardens of Hecate, and they have gone through a few transformations over the years. I only played one campaign with them (Monstrous Births), but they will make a return some day, when I revisit their world.
Another model I really like is Nerod, the huge giant I converted and painted for Legen.

http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.com/

I hope you found that helpful or inspiring, and I hope I'm able to do more and celebrate the incredible artists that make up the miniature wargaming community. You can find more of Ana's work on her blog which I've linked throughout this post, or on her Instagram @a_polanscak

Comments

Popular Posts