Necrons for Kill Team



  Image


Hi everyone, thought I'd take a moment to talk about my Necron Kill Team, considering it was pretty popular on Instagram and that there's a fair amount about it I wanted to talk about. First of all, the idea to do this group came from a place of love for the models. I think Necrons are so cool, creepy and weird with all their time-space altering devices and whatnot. When Ana Polanscak showed that Necrons could be done in a grimey, converted way and then the Bonereapers for Age of Sigmar were released, I finally leapt at the idea, reinventing the second army I ever collected for a new age.


The Triarch Praetorian:

The first model I completed for the Kill Team was this Triarch Praetorian count-as. Like all his fellow members, he does have a name and lore, but that's something I'll get into a later date. In the background, Triarchs act as guardians of the rest of the tomb while they're still sleeping, but I wanted mine to have portable sleeping pods that could escape into too, so the idea of a coffin came about--the Vokmortian figure from Feast of Bones proved a perfect base model. The tomb on his back allowed me to invoke images of a jump-pack too, having more bulk and all, which would hark back to the model's rules. I repositioned the model's torso to be sideways leaning and also attached the tomb at a less intrusive angle. The staff body is from an aelf kit of some kind (I can't remember which) while the head of it was from the actual Triarch Praetorians. When it came to painting, I used a lot of inks and weathering paints to dull down the clean areas, but @k0rdhal suggested I add a green glow with Hexwraith flame to eyes, candles and staff, which I did, vastly improving the model and giving it a more Necron feel. This guy serves as the commander of the team--the blowing out of his candles allows pocket dimensions to open, summoning in other Necrons.


Flayed Ones:
Image
I think Flayed Ones are so cool. The idea I tried to get across with mine is that they're trying to get some of their 'humanity' back and are literally flaying what's left of their skeletons out of their own bodies. I used the actual finecast Flayed Ones for this with parts from the Bonereapers and old Arco-Flaggelent kits for the long arms as well as the Dryads and Citadel Skull kits for the skeletal parts. The size of the Flayed One models are a little bigger than the Bonereapers that I used for most of the Kill Team, so they stand out a little, but not enough to break suspension of disbelief imo.


Lychguard:
Image
The Lychguard might be the best painted of the bunch to an extent. The base model is one of Katakos' helpers with Vokmortisan's staff. The head of the scythe is from the Mortis Engine, accompanied with Necron wire parts. The head of the model is from the Skeleton Warriors, the eyes of which have been sculpted to be narrower and more Necron-like. This character takes lots of cues from the Triarch Praetorian, including having a candle as he acts as second in command.


Overlord:
Image
The finecast Necron overlord is a model that I believe I bought on day one of release. It was the first model I ever got excited to paint, back in 2011 as the Necrons got their update, so I thought I'd revisit it on a much larger base/ canvas. I also wanted to evoke the Nightbringer model as it's one of my favourite GW sculpts. I did this by using the Nightbringer's actual sculpted base details and scarabs, as well as emphasising the cloak. The base model is the Bonereapers Soulreaper, which is a wonderful model, with a trimmed down head and the scythe of a Cairn Wraith. Fairly unconverted, all in all.


Obelisk:
Image
The Obelisk came into being for various reasons. First of all, I wanted to express the weirdness of a Cryptek in a more unconventional way, so this is what it counts as. I also wanted to express the Necron existential creepy factor of this pulsating, faceless monolith that just kind of hovers around, flaying those nearby. Also, Tesseract Labrynths are super cool in the background for Necrons, and I wanted to make a larger one that might be housing something weird for the Necron's narrative. And finally, I wanted a monolith in my Kill Team, seeing how they're so integral to the lore of the Necrons.
The model itself is super simple. It's one of the Bonereapers endless spells without the smoke or skulls suspended on a brass rod. It's been filled in with milliput, and painted with chipping fluid to give it an arcane, foreboding appearance--perhaps it's older than even the Necrontyr.


Necron Warriors/ Immortals:

Image
These guys were actually the first I envisioned for the project but the last ones I finished. I wanted faceless, lithe and unceremonious killing machines with glowing guns, so I used the half-formed skeletons for the Bonereapers Boneshaper kits as well as the Bonereaper's Mortarch's scroll-bearer. They've all got skitarii guns and skeleton warriors/ bonereapers arms.These guys are the bread and butter of the force.


Image
And that is the current Kill Team! Maybe I'll expand them if I have a chance eventually. I'd love to do a Deathmark Scout--maybe for the Primogenitor... I do have ideas for some vehicles too, so this might be something I revisit in a year or so. But anyway, thanks for all your nice comments over on Instagram with these, and I'll see you all next time.

For more, follow me on Instagram @theempyrean_ and/ or Twitter @theempyrean__




Comments

Popular Posts