Warhammer Basing 101: Urban Basing Tutorial



Hi everyone; I've been working on my Necron Kill Team recently and I thought what a better place to upload a tutorial for how I do my bases? I'll use various brands of modelling supplies, but the recipe doesn't have to be exact. Substitute stuff where you see fit. For this tutorial, I will be using a Necromunda 32mm base.

Step 1:


I primed the paint with a brown/ camo primer from Halfords. Then, I dusted it with Games Workshop's Ledbelcher spray. This allows for a nice and soft basecoat to work upon later.

Step 2:

For this step, I used Contrast Wyldwood thinned with water for about a 50/50 ratio.

I washed this liberally over the base, making sure to reach all the nooks and crannies.


Before it could dry, I used a cotton-wool bud and dragged it across the base, creating a streaking effect. I then left it to dry.

Step 3:

For this step, I used Smokey Ink, mixed into a 75/25 ratio with water.

Same as before, I applied it liberally to the base.

And then wiped it off in streaks!

Step 4:

Rust effect by Modelmates. You can't buy the original anymore, but this stuff from the parent company is just as good. Now, even though its water soluble, it's important to treat this stuff like an oil paint, varnishing after use and washing out brushes thoroughly. It's fairly sticky.

Same philosophy as the steps before; apply all over the base, then vigorously wipe into streaks.

Step 5:

For the next step, I used Scale75's soilworks wash. These are fantastic weathering washes that dry like weathering powders, but they are oil paints, so be sure to take the necessary precautions when using them.

Apply gently and conservatively to the base.

Step 6:

Gw's Wraithbone paint is a slightly lighter version of the last weathering oil. Seal it in/ varnish it before doing this step. Water down the paint about 50/50.

Wash it overtop where you put the oils and then drag it into streaks with a cotton-wool stick.

Step 7:

For this step, you need to mix Rhinox Hide and black artist's ink with water. I'd say a 40/10/50 mix. In the middle of the above photo, you can see I have a pre-made bottle of the stuff as I use it so frequently.

Use a small sponge to sponge on the paint around the edges, breaking up any monotonous stretches of colour.

Line all the edges with the same paint, using a fine brush. You can even paint some into the recesses to clean it up a bit.

Step 8:

The most fun step! Just pure Abaddon Black for this one.

Apply it to the rim of the base.

And that's it done! I feel like this could work for Necromunda, 40k, or even Age of Sigmar bases too. I hope this might help some of you out there. You could even go further, mix in some blues or sponge on some metallics!

Follow me on Instagram @theempyrean_ or Twitter at @theempyrean__ for more of my work.









Comments

Popular Posts